Thursday, May 8, 2014

Thank you Professor Brady


Woman Writing 1934 Pablo Picasso
       I have always loved reading literature, and was looking forward to English 102. I knew that the class would force me to do something that I loved, and had put aside, because of other responsibilities. I also wanted to be able to write with confidence. After taking this class, one thing I am sure of, is that I will never put reading, thinking and writing about literature aside again. From the first day of class, Professor Brady, conveyed the reason why we read literature, to be a part of humankind. Her lectures were profound. They were about life and the human condition. Although I am open and friendly, I have never quite felt connected to many people around me. I’m not good at chit-chat, and have always wanted to talk, listen and think about things that were of interest to me. With the range of literature that Professor Brady presented, I feel fulfilled in life. I have made many friends in her class. I have joined the ranks of feminists along with, Charlotte Perkins Gillman, and Kate Chopin, who have helped me to understand my feelings of oppression, and given me the courage to stand up for myself. John Updike has supported my rebellious nature. Antigone, Sophocle’s character has reassured me to not be timid, and boldly stand up for wrongs in the world. Tennessee Williams, through his play, “Streetcar Named Desire” has made me rethink the human condition, and how, and why we deal with illusion, and reality. Julia Alvarez has spoken to me about racism. The list of friends goes on. Thank you Professor Brady for introducing me to people who have something to say. As far as my writing, Professor Brady has dragged me behind a horse drawn carriage through cobblestone streets, kicking, and screaming inside, writing, writing, writing, forcing me to think, and get words out. I stand up, dust myself off, and realize, I am now a writer, a good one, confident. Thank you again, Professor Brady. I leave this class a better human being, connected, through literature.

1 comment:

  1. This is extremely touching! You are a wonderful writer . A pleasure to have you in my class!

    ReplyDelete